With tomorrow being Shrove Tuesday, a.k.a. Pancake Day, it would be tempting to think ‘I’ve made it this far, there’s no harm in buying some eggs and whipping up some pancakes’. But I’m here to urge you not to do that, beacuse if you do, you’ll miss out on the awesomeness that is vegan pancakes!
There are many, many recipes out there for vegan pancakes, but few are as easy as this:
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup dairy-free milk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl.
- Form a well in the middle and pour in the dairy-free milk. Whisk the flour and milk together until it forms a relatively smooth batter.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan over a medium to high heat and ladle in a portion of the batter, tilting the pan to cover as much of the bottom as possible.
- Cook until the edges begin to brown and curl up (a few minutes) and then flip the pancake over to cook on the otherside.
- Repeat until all the batter has been used.
But what about arguably the best bit – the toppings? Don’t dispair! Vegan pancake toppings are at least as good as non-vegan ones, and I’d say even better. Here’s a list of suggestions for you to try:
- Traditional lemon juice and sugar
- Strawberry jam
- Peanut butter and banana
- Biscoff spread (amazing!)
- Vegan chocolate spread (try this one from Biona, or this Dark Chocolate and Mint one from Asda)
- Maple syrup
- Golden syrup
- Chocolate sprinkles
- Dairy-free ice cream
- Berry compote (try the recipe from p.7 of your Vegan Guide)
If you prefer something savoury to start with, maybe try one of these options:
- Garlic, mushroom and vegan cream cheese (available from Tesco, Sainsbury and health food shops)
- Roasted vegetables
- Pan-fried tomato and mushroom
- Avocado and salsa